Manager, Forestry Operations
AV Terrace Bay is an exciting and innovative company operating in the unique global market of NBSK. Located in Terrace Bay, Ontario, the pulp mill finds itself in a picturesque area of the province on Lake Superior. As part of the Aditya Birla Group, AV Terrace Bay’s focus is to produce pulp products. The Aditya Birla Group is a 48.3 billion US$ corporation in the League of Fortune 500 companies. With operations in 36 countries, the Group is anchored by an extraordinary force of over 136,000 employees, belonging to 42 different nationalities.
Position location: Based out of Thunder Bay, ON the incumbent will be required to spend significant amount of time in the Longlac area where the Operations team is located.
AV Terrace Bay Inc. is currently recruiting for a Manager-Forestry Operations, to join its Woodlands division.
- Provide Leadership to Operations Area Superintendents and Contractors on License/certifications, to improve operating efficiencies.
- Plan, monitor, and control road and harvesting operations through area Superintendent to assure effective and efficient operations.
- Communications with internal staff and external parties to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Manage trade volumes with partner mills.
- Provides leadership to the Area Superintendent and Forestry Planner and delegates work appropriately to ensure agreed targets and operating parameters are achieved.
- Co-ordinates the Area Superintendents activities and provides resources and advice as appropriate.
- Ensures that systems and processes are in place for appropriate data gathering and smooth operation for the Area Superintendents, the Forestry Planner and their associated contractors.
- Ensures that license conditions are being met and takes remedial actions to rectify problem areas if and when necessary.
- Ensures that all operations are conducted according to Company policy and certification standards.
- Ensures that appropriate contracts are in place prior to conducting operations.
- Controls costs of wood harvesting provides feedback to the Area Superintendents and Forestry Planner.
- Negotiates sale prices for products from operations sold to other mills.
- Tracks and reports on cost variances
- Conducts regular meetings with direct reports and significant others to ensure efficient wood flow to AVTB
- Acts as a company representative on panels and/or committees where the best interests of the company are being responsible corporate citizen can be pursued.
- Forestry Technology Diploma or Degree or equivalent
- Minimum 8-10 years of Forestry Operations experience
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Fluent use of Microsoft Office suite (excel, word)
- Functional knowledge of GPS/GIS technology
- Must own vehicle and hold a valid driver’s license
Applicants interested in working for a progressive, team oriented company should send their resume in confidence to:
AV Terrace Bay Inc.
21 Mill Road
Terrace Bay, Ontario P0T 2W0
Fax: (807) 825-8846
We wish to thank all candidates in advance for their applications however, only those under consideration will be contacted.